About Imam Abu Laith Luqman Ahmad
Brief Biography of
Shaykh Abu Laith Luqman
- Currently: Imam and Executive Director of Masjid Ibrahim Islamic Center in Sacramento Ca.
- National Shura Member, Muslim Alliance of North America
- (Former) Executive Commttee Member, North American Imams Federation
- Director Lotus Tree Institute
- His father, Shaykh Abdul-Karim Muhammad Ahmad, versed him in areas of tawheed, aqeedah, adab, fiqh, and seera,
- His mother Umm Rabee’ah (May Allah protect and hold close her soul) a wife, activist, mother of seven, was one of the Ummuhaat ul-.Muslimeen of Phiadelphia She reserved herself mostly to her home, where she taught adab, aqeedah, and fiqh, as she grappled with ways to maintain Islamic tradition in her children in a society that at the time, was unfamiliar with Islam and Muslims.
- Shaykh Abu Laith Luqman learned the discipline of patience and perseverance from his mother who often had to endure jeers and stares from strangers on the street because of her adherence to Islamic clothing style. As an adolescent, young Luqman attended lectures at the feet of Colonel Amirudeen of Canada, where he would sometimes sit for hours at a time without a break. The Shaykh had such an impact on young Luqman that he would return to his Philadelphia neighborhood and preach the sheikh’s words to neighborhood kids (many who are now Muslims) on the street corners and basketball courts of inner-city Philadelphia.
- Accompanied by his father, Sheikh Luqman attended many lessons of the legendary African scholar, Sheikh Dawood Ahmad Faisal, of the famous State Street Mosque in Brooklyn, a major center of traditional learning in the United States. Sheikh Luqman also took instruction from the well known Egyptian Sheikh Suleiman Dunyaa.
- During this time, the Imam continued to receive knowledge from his father, who introduced him to Ihyaa uloom al-deen by al-Ghazaali, at the age of 15. This contributed to Sheikh Luqman’s distinctive spiritual personality, which endears him to his student
- Shaykh Luqman graduated from the langaage and usool ud-deen program at Omdurman Islamic University in Sudan and recieved his ijaazah in Hafs Quran recitation from the Quranic village of Wad al-Faadni in the Jazeerah Province of Sudan
- Skaykh Luqman also studied at Umm Al-Quraa University in Saudi Arabia and at the Haram al-Mekki. While in Mecca, Saudi Arabia, in addition to the teachers at Um al-Qura, the Imam studied with Sheikh Suleiman al-Hazmi, Sheikh Sayyid Sabiq who was his sheikh of tafseer al-Quran, and Sheikh Muhammad al-Ghazaali.
- Shaykh Luqman learned usool al-hadith from Sheikh Muhammad bin Humayad a classic era Az’harian trained in the Ottoman period.
- Imam Luqman also took lessons from the late African American Shaykh; Muhammad Ghulaam Al-Haarith, one of the first indigenous American Muslims to attend Azhar University, Shaykh Muhammad was a guest in the home of Imam Luqman during the mid-eighties where Imam Luqman transformed his living room into a Madrasatul Ilm (School of Traditional Knowledge)
Other Shuyookh of Imam Abu Laith
Sheikh Abdul-Karim MuhammadAhmad , Tajweed, Fiqh, Aqeeda, Hadeeth
Umm Luqman – Aqeedah, Fiqh, Adab, Seerah
Sheikha Fareedah Umm Hannaan,-Aqeedah, Fiqh al-Mu’aamalaat
Sheikha Aminah Abdullah-Aqeedah, Seerah and
Sheikh Ameer Saab-Aqeedah, Usool al-Eemaan
Sheikh Sulaimaan Abdul-Haadee-Language, Modern Urban logic and Expression,
Sheikh Muhammad As’lam-Fiqh
Sheikh Abdullah bin Baaz-Aqeedah
Sheikh Muhammad Ghulaam al-Haarith-arabic Language, Seerah, usool al-Fiqh
Sheikh Zainul Aabideen al-Costi- Fiqh, Usool al-Fiqh, Usool al-Hadith, Qiraa’tul Hafs
Sheikh Daf’ Allah Hajj Yusuf-Arabic Grammar, al-matan al-Ajroomiyyah
Sheikh Muhammad Hadeeya al-Umdurmaani-Fiqh, Tafseer, Usool al-hadith, Aqeedah
Sheikh Muhammad Taqlaawi- Aqeeah,
Sheikh Muhammad Ibn Humayd, Hadith
Sheikh Sayyid Saabiq- Tafseer, Fiqh
Sheikh Ridda Mu’tee-Aqeedah
Sheikh Sulaimaan al-Hazmi- Hadeeth
Sheikh Muhammad Mutaphah Bilaal-Hadeeth, Sahih Muslim
Sheikh Abdul-Aziz Fad’Allah-Usool al-Fiqh,
Sheikh Abdullah Ali al-Mekki, Aqeedah